Tuesday 25 May 2010

Letters of John Keats

My dear Reynolds,-

My brothers are anxious that I should go by myself into the country - they have always been extremely fond of me, and now that Haydon has pointed out how necessary it is that I should be alone to improve myself, they give up the temporary pleasure of living with me continually for a great good which I hope will follow. So I shall soon be out of Town. You must soon bring all your present troubles to a close, and so must I, but we must, like the Fox, prepare for a fresh swarm of flies. Banish money - Banish sofas - Banish Wine - Banish Music; but right Jack Health, honest Jack Health, true Jack Health - Banish Health and banish all the world. I must ... myself .. if I come this evening, I shall horribly commit myself elsewhere. So I will send my excuses to them and Mrs. Dilke by my brothers.

Your sincere friend,
John Keats


No comments: